Tuesday, October 17, 2006

You know how when you really like someone's music, you have to obsessively ramsack every sonic trace of them ever, every sniffle ever committed to recording technology? That's sort of how I am with Hannah Marcus right now. If she hadn't titled her latest cd "Desert Farmers" I probably never would have discovered her, which seems like an unjust thing but there you have it...I'm an instant sucker for anything with "desert" in it. Anyway, she's got me ordering cds from obscure labels in Germany called "Faith Burns," which just arrived in the mail today. I don't think if I started here I would be so enthralled after a couple of listens...it sort of sounds like the Giant Sand stuff where the music is falling apart more than it's sticking together. But I can remember reading a review of Giant Sand where the reviewer wrote that it sounded like Howe Gelb was playing "the whole state of Arizona" or something to that effect, and I can totally identify with that. It sounds a lot like Hannah Marcus is playing her entire Brooklyn apartment, fire escape and rusty spigots, and ceiling fan and lost beads rolling around under the couch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home